So as one of my 2019 plans was to start reading some of the books I have from other artists, illustrators or sketchers I thought I’d start with Danny Gregory’s “Everyday Matters: a Memoir”. It’s described as a graphic memoir which is pretty accurate.
The book is a very honest account of some of the major and not so major goings on in Danny’s life and combines both an interesting story and some great sketches.
What I loved….
- his bravery in sharing the emotions he experienced through a tragic event
- his ability to find beauty and interest in everyday objects, e.g. the signs he sees on his way home, the insides of his medicine cabinet, etc
- his willingness to share great but also not so great sketches
- his use of his own handwritten text and the confidence of his writing style
- his confidence in mark making – very different to my own where I tend to use the pen like a pencil too wispy and tentative or too solid
and finally would I recommend it? Absolutely! Its a great read and inspirational for more than just the sketching, check it out.