Generally my biggest challenge is finding time rather than overcoming creative blocks but I have noticed recently that when I do have some free time it is taking me a bit longer to decide on what to do and to get started. This could be down to the fact that I’m switching between textiles and paper/canvas but for anyone out there I thought I’d share a blog post published on the artists network which outlined 11 ideas for overcoming creative blocks.
- The fear of a blank page/canvas – cover it
- Get yourself and your space organised – a particular favourite of mine, although I do tend to just move things around
- Try a new medium – interesting although I think too much choice may be one of my problems.
- Take a class – having recently completed an online course I can thoroughly recommend this one.
- Impose some restrictions and limit your colours
- Create an ideas journal
- Get out to get inspired – a walk may not be ideal with the weather at the moment but a gallery visit or even a stately home
- Make a list of project you want to do – I think this is definitely one for my “to do” list
- Record your feelings when you’re blocked
- Address your inner critic
- Discover your spontaneity
You can find the full article here – Artists Network Article
Any others you’d suggest?