This week is National Curry Week so thought I’d share an appropriate post as well as my favourite recipe.
Curry is the UK’s most popular cuisine so here’s five top facts .
Top Five Curry Facts
- The word curry comes from a Tamil sauce known as kari, first recorded in English as carriil in 1598.
- The UK’s most popular curry is the chicken tikka masala, which accounts for 1 in every 7 curries sold.
- The UK’s first Indian restaurant was named the Hindustani Coffee House and it opened in 1810.
- 85 per cent of the Indian restaurants in Britain are run by people from Bangladesh.
- In 2009, the House of Commons debated a motion to recognise that chicken tikka masala was invented in Glasgow, not Birmingham
My favourite recipe – Lamb & Spinach Karahi